Friday, November 18, 2011

Parks and Recreation - "Smallest Park"


Season 4, Episode 8

“I just decided what I wanted, and I got upset when you didn’t want the same thing.”

One of the strongest things that has been at play in this current season is that it has gotten very good at playing out the more emotional, serialized elements of it stories to great effect. This isn’t to say that the show has been bad about serialization in the past – in fact it’s been quite good – but that it feel much stronger now, that it has more of a presence. And despite all the sniping from some corners that Parks and Recreation isn’t as good as it used to be, I think it’s important to note that while the episode formula hasn’t changed, the overall storytelling has, and when that makes the show capable of such episodes as strong as “Smallest Park”, I think the detractors need to start rethinking their assessment of the show.

Over the two previous episodes, the show took at hard look at the aftermath of The World’s Sweetest Breakup Ever, with Leslie and Ben both acting out against not being able to be with one another, mostly by taking out their anger on one another. It’s a storyline that for a while seemed to be about providing the audience with resolution to an event that brought the show’s logic into question, while also serving as a solid character study. Instead, the show took a slightly unexpected turn – not so much for the outcome, but for the timing of it all – as Leslie and Ben decided that they would try to be in a relationship again, this time one that was out in the open. It was fantastic moment, because Poehler’s moving performance at showing Leslie’s sadness only made their decision to get back together all that more powerful.

While this obviously leaves a lot of questions – even Ben was wondering whether they might get fired, or if it might derail Leslie’s political campaign – this wouldn’t have meant as much had it just seemed like a twist tacked on at the end. Instead, the show deftly used the minutes leading up to the ending to explore Leslie’s more, shall we say, forceful side. In article for Slate, Juliet Lapidos criticizes Leslie out for what she calls “her offhanded, sometimes cruelly demanding treatment of the people she knows well.” It wasn’t a criticism that I wasn’t ready to hear at the time, because I knew that everything Leslie does comes from a good place, because the show treats her vivaciousness as an asset, not a liability; and because Poehler’s really funny when she shows that side of Leslie.

However, apparently others have also noticed the problem, and even if I had yet to notice it, I appreciate that the show would cut off this personality quirk before it became truly unbearable. (I also appreciate how the show was able to bring this to my attention while still making it funny, but that’s a more personal reaction.) But what I think what really made it work is that instead of just focusing on how Leslie “steamrolls” over Ben, and thus causing us to wonder why these two would get back together (even if Ben is a pushover anyways, and that sort of makes them compatible), is to show that she does the same thing to Ann. Ann’s actually had to face this problem for a lot longer, so it helps to give Ben’s complaint an air of legitimacy, but it also helps us to believe that Leslie isn’t in the wrong. When Ann says that she would “eat 10 cheesecakes” if Leslie asked her to, we know that she means it, and it helps to usher in the last scene of the episode.

There was also a nice parallel tonight with Tom and Jerry’s (bah-dum-bump!) story, as much like we saw Ben and Leslie dealing with the fallout from their relationship, we see Tom is struggling to readjustment himself back to working at the Parks Department. He’s a man still used to working in a creative mode, and when he realizes that he’s taken Chris’ project of picking a new font for the department logo (which look looks suspiciously like the text for the show’s promos, come to think of it), it’s clear that he’s not quite happy returning to his old life. Luckily, the show gave him – and Jerry – a win, when Tom is able to come up with a simple design change with a PR/fund raising campaign to go along with it. I just hope that the show keep this up, and we see more of Tom’s growth in the future.

Lastly, there was Andy’s subplot. While not as substantial as either the Ben/Leslie story, or the Tom/Jerry story, it was a sweet reminder of the fatherly affection that Ron holds for Andy, while also allowing Ron and April to serve as opposing forces, which places two of the show’s best dynamics in the same story. While seeing him attend both Beginner’s Guitar and Introduction to Lasers (I too share his disappointment that he would actually get to use/play with lasers), him settling on Introduction to Women’s Studies was a fantastic masterstroke, and I like how the show played this as a positive learning experience for Andy. (Whether Andy sticks with the class is another story.)

Quotes and Other Thoughts:

Seriously, Ben and Leslie's separation lasted all of eight episodes. I realize that this is probably a statement on how strongly these two feel about each other - and applaud the show for that and for not dragging their separation out - but it's so antithetical to how most TV shows operate that it's really throwing me for a loop.

Best sight gag: Ann scrolling through the pages of texts Leslie sent her.

I too would pay to attend a class on women’s lasers.

Who would have thought that a strong libertarian such as Ron would believe in handing out a scholarship?

“Yes, essentially I would like you to choose a new font.

“Jerry! I’m officially making you my number two guy on the font project.” “Come on, that’s too close, make him number three.” “Okay Jerry, you’re number three.” “There’s only two of us.” “He’s been in this department a long time; I think maybe you could learn something from him.” “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Terryville sucks old car tires, and so does Martin Luther K – no, He does not suck old car tires. He was one of the greatest men in history. I’m sorry. Sometime I get competitive.”

“A CRASH COURSE?” “Yeah, but it’s not what you think.”

“Of all of my co-workers, he is one of a small number that I do not actively root against. Aw, there I go getting all sappy.”

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, I need to ascertain the whereabouts of some oversized ceremonial scissors.”

“The only good font is the Sopranos one, where the ‘r’ is a pistol.”

“But I can’t, because I’m just a beginner. I’ve barely ever seen a gortar.”

“Goodbye, everybody. Guess what? I was secretly an undercover rock star this whole time!”

“For what it’s worth, I think you would make an incredible Brunette. Ron Swanson.”

“Ann, I beg of you, just shut your beautiful pie hole.”

“Your quiet support means the world to me. As does your tacit endorsement of all my behaviors.”

“He’s not even using a last pointer!”

“I once held a forum about a new bike rack that lasted seven hours. Now when I need this people to complain, they’re done in 45 minutes?”

“I want to be burned at the stake.”

“If that women weren’t so violently opposed to marriage, I think I would propose to her.”

“Is there such a thing as women’s lasers? That would be my number one pick.”

“Don’t you work for the government?” “I do Joe, that’s why I know how high this conspiracy goes.”

“Wow, that was very hard to hear. So many negative words. I just need to process this….Okay, the dream team is dead. But you guys had a great run!”

“I know: I’m gonna beg for money on the street like a drug attic.” “No.” “Yes!”

“April, where have you been? Over two phone calls came in, unimpeded!”

“One thing I promised myself when I buried gold in my backyard was that I would never be a hoarder or a miser.”

“She once made me eat a whole cheesecake at a potluck so that she didn’t look bad.”

“Also, because it was delicious and amazing like everything she does.”

No comments:

Post a Comment