Friday, September 23, 2011

Parks and Rec - "I'm Leslie Knope"


Season 4, Episode 1
Of political jokes and set-up

“I’m Ron Swanson. And you’re Leslie
Fucking Knope. Are you with me?”
-Ron

Of all the things that Parks and Recreation does well, political satire isn’t one of them. That may be weird, considering the show’s central premise, but if you think back to the middling first season, it’s easy to see what I mean. When the show tackles how government works, it’s never as funny as when it deals with the community of Pawnee. (For example, since it began the show has lowered the number of in house meets the department staff has, and as increased the number of open-to-the-public forum scenes.)

It’s a fine line between the two, but it’s one that I hope that the show is able to make going forward. Though I have no problem with the show following through with Leslie’s run for city council – political aspirations have always been part of Leslie’s personality, and it’s the kind of character development I really enjoy – “I’m Leslie Knope” also showed that the show needs to be careful about what aspect of politics that it plans of covering for the season (or however long it is that this campaign it going to take).

I’m talking of course about the dick-pic subplot, which was the relatively weakest part of the episode, even if it was still really funny. Given how many Anthony Weiner jokes we’ve been subjected to over the past few months, having a similar subplot pop-up here appears lazy and tired. Given its production schedule, the show isn’t really in the place to me making fresh, relevant political jokes – the only kinds really worth making – so it shouldn’t even bother. Now, this plotline was helped out immensely by the fact that it centered on Ann and Chris, two people whose differing brands of self-seriousness always makes for good comedic contrast with the craziness that is Pawnee, but that doesn’t change the fact that the nugget of the plotline is just hacky.

Luckily, the rest of the episode was a real winner, and proved that the show can tell the right kind of personal politically-themed stories. Tonight’s A-plot was about Leslie’s campaign, but it wasn’t actually about politics. It was about her tough decision to break up with Ben, and his understanding of that choice. It was a scene that went from zero to heart wrenching in all of three seconds, and it proves that the show’s real power lies in its pathos. That it was predicated by another uplifting scene with Ron and Leslie  - perhaps the show’s best pairing - out at his cabin only helped to drive home the personal nature of Leslie’s plight, and assures the viewers that the show won’t forget what keeps drawing viewers back.

Elsewhere, we got a lot of setup, as Andy gets set up as Leslie’s assistant, Toms keeps stopping by the office (implying that everything isn’t all right with Entertainment 720), and we finally got to me Tammy 1, in a scene that teases just enough out that we want to know more. (I assume that Ron is being audited for tax evasion, but I’m sure there much more to that story.) Luckily, it was all very funny setup, even if it felt as if the show wasn’t able to make enough jokes asi it struggled to move past season three’s cliffhangers. It’s good start to P&R’s fourth season, one that promises even stronger returns down the road.

Quotes, Etc:

“Also, I store a sizeable amount of ground chuck in my desk. Remove it, or it will begin to smell. Godspeed.”

“My strategy is to win.”

“While other girls were playing with Barbies, I was playing with the Geraldine Ferraro actions figure. That I made myself! By gluing her picture on a popsicle stick!”

“Oh Ann, you beautiful, naïve, sophisticated baby.”

“Respect. That’s a baller move. Pun intended.”

“I would like to apologize to all the women. And Jerry. If I could go back in time and cut your eyeballs out, I would.”

“You’re entusiatic, you’re hardworking, you can lift heavy things…”

“Mr. Mayor, I promise you that we will find the owner of the wiener, and we will punish him.”

“Testicles are like the ears of the genitals. They serve a function, but they’re not that great to look at.”

“Ann Perkins, you really know your testes!”

“I don’t know what you mean, but it had the cadence of a joke.”

“Well, I started crying because he gave me an éclair, then we made out and we spent the night together. But this morning, in the cold light of day, I cooked breakfast and we made out some more.” “Wow, so you opposite of broke up with him.” “He gave me an éclair, Ann.”

“If you’ve got a nice drain pipe, there’s no reason to hide it.”

“Sweet. Someone’s got mumps on his lumps.”

“Well, everything you say is stupid…I love you.”

“Oh my God. Your inbox is literally full with penises.”

“Do you need to get that?” “No, it’s just penises.”

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom, the wiz palace, as we call it.”

“You just violates rules number one and three. You lose your coffee privileges.”

“I’d really love to shoot a gun.” “Fishing it is.”

“Let’s say I’ve been watching women’s golf, and I’ve had a lot wine…”

“I always carry emergency s’more rations in my car.”

“When I was twelve, my doctor shot me in the pinky toe with a nail gun. Granted, it was a hilarious prank, and we all had a good laugh.”

“If any of you need anything at all…to bad. Handle your own problems like adults.”

“She has the tracking ability, and body odor, of a bloodhound.

“I was distracted…by the LARGEST PENIS I HAVE EVER SEEN.”

“Sit up straight, you’re not doing your breasts any favors.”

No comments:

Post a Comment