Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Modern Family - "After the Fire"


Season 3, Episode 8

Well here it is, come down upon us as if from the television gods above: an episode of Modern Family that was both free from outrageous clichés and manages to mix up the titular family from beyond their nuclear households. It may have not been the best episode, but it was most certainly the strongest episode so far this season.

Now, to be honest, this wasn’t the best use of the “putting the family in one space” technique; while the family was in the same space and overall storyline (think “Fizbo”), the episode perhaps broke them down too much, to the extent that the family actually was a bit too spread out from their original location. Speaking of which, the talking heads that opened the episode made it seem as if all the family members lived close to the house that burned down, and thus really close to each other, and while I’m sure the show never explicitly stated how far away each household was from one another, I at leaser assumed it was driving distance. And now that I think about it, the fact that all three families live so close together would seem to indicate that there’s an unhealthy sense of attachment to one another.

Or, at least there is one among the Pritchett clan, and it was only one of two of the stories that had any sort of crossover with any other, and even Claire just snuggling up to Jay hardly counts as crossover. Anyways, this was a story that hinted at some very good ideas – that Claire’s got daddy issues, and Mitchell as comparably mommy issues, and there both dragging Gloria down into their weird little delusions – and while it was funny, I think it could have been better had it gone a little darker. I mean, really embrace the complexity and weirdness of dysfunctional Pritchett Clan. But this is Modern Family, after all, and it’s too bright and sunny of a show for that. Too bad.

But that’s all right, because there was a much better plot tonight in Cam, Haley and Alex picking up the moving truck so that they could haul the collected supplies to the house fire victims’ new place. I’ll admit it: this plot shot to the top of the list because in what feels like the first time in forever, the show was able to subvert the gay stereotype. (I realize that technically that’s what Cam's story in the previous episode was about, but considering that it turned out Cam couldn’t pass for straight, it was a failed subversion.) Even better, like all the best Cam storylines, it was able to comment on his sense of superiority, even in something as looked down upon as truck drivin’.

Additionally, this plot saw the convergence of Alex and Haley’s bickering and Luke and Manny’s theft and loss of fancy new toy. While I enjoyed Luke and Manny’s story more – the two characters have a chemistry that’s quite fun to watch – neither was exactly fully fleshed out, and so it was nice that these were the two plots that met up, and it was nice to see Haley get some comeuppance at the hands of Alex. (Line of the night: “One day, your fans will be working for my fans.”)

And then there was the Phil and Jay storyline which, just…*sigh*. While I liked the idea of Phil giving Jay a massage, and was even more intrigued by the possible fallout from Jay accidentally saying “I love you”, the show instead when with an “twist” that I’m sure just about everybody saw coming. I get that the show was trying to go for a different kind of sweet moment, and maybe setting up an arc for Phil that mirrors the one Claire has now, but I feel like the writers ignored the stronger idea in order to go with the easier one. It’s like every time the show comes up with a good episode idea, it finds at least three ways to lessen the quality.

Quotes and Other Thoughts:

Okay, I have to give the show props where it’s due: Making sure to film that extra bit of dialogue about the printer while they filmed “Dude Ranch” was just a stroke of genius. Of course, that just leads me to an obvious question: If the writers can plan out jokes that far in advanced, how come the story of Claire’s run for office hasn’t been better developed?

Hey, even the closing voice-over was shared by the family. Well, that was neat.

If, like me, you were wondering where Kevin Hart's character was, well, I believe this episode was produced first, and is only now getting to air. 

“You know, it’s a somber occasion, and all my tops are too joyous.” “You do not want our problems.”

“Yeah, that blows.” “I know you’re shaken up, but please watch the language.”

“When you burn the house down, you can get one of those. Please don’t burn the house down.”

“You’re a terrible influence.” “You need me.”

“First off, you’re each beautiful in your own way, but you’re both second to me, because I’m too sexy for this truck!”

“Holding hands? We’re not in a nose dive.”

“And now let me take you to a land I call Relaxistan.”

“You’re going to help me find it, or the next thing we’ll be searching for is you.” “I like this guy, where’s he been?”

“I’m the one who’s turning Gloria into mom, which I disturbing because we’re the same age.” “You’re older.” “Oh, now you chime in?”

“Are you honestly going to tell me that I’m your favorite person in this family? I’m not even your favorite Columbian in this family.”

“I have three kids and at least one of them is going to college. Worst case scenario, they all go to college!”

No comments:

Post a Comment