Sunday, February 6, 2011

SNL: "Dana Carvey/Linkin Park"

Once I make a predection about James Franco's next career move, I'll be able to give a review of tonight's SNL, after the jump....


Wayne's World Opening – Well, we're just jumping right into Carvey's old characters, aren't we? I don't if it was just nostalgia, but this one got some good laughs out of me, at least for the first half. But I didn't really find any of the Winter's Bone jokes funny, and some of the movie puns fell flat. I did like the
“What's on Firth?” bit for some reason.

Monologue – There was something a bit odd (and not at all funny) about Carvey's “I was part of the best cast” jokes. There's something about addressing the elephant in the room that doesn't work in the broad format that SNL peddles. And what was with all of the cheering for all of the actors who came on the stage. Lovitz I get, but the regular cast members? They never get that kind of applause.

i-Sleep Pro – Why do I feel like I've seen this one before? Regardless, not only was this just the same joke over and over, but this kind of racial humor was really lazy, and not edgy enough to be provocative like the “Blackenstein” sketch last week.

Church Lady – Seriously, the show isn't even going to pretend that it's not just doing all of Carvey's old characters. Though I caught many SNL reruns during my middle school years, I never saw any with the Church Lady, so it's a bit hard for me to compare this one to those of the 80s/90s. Fortunately, this sketch started off with the Kardashias, one of my favorite celebrity impressions of the past few years. And then they had to ruin it by following up with Snooki. Though things got funny again once Hader came out as a priest. Can someone tell me why they brought out Beiber? While I liked the Church Lady getting all hot and bothered, the fact that the show has apparently caught Beiber Fever bugs be to no end.

Celebrity Teen Crisis Center – No real set up, no plot to speak of. This rarely bodes well for a SNL sketch, and this was no exception. Apart from Armisen's Ice-T, none of the celebrity impressions were all that funny (even the usually-reliable Pharoh), and as the sketch just jumped from impression to impression, with no kind of buffer between, it felt really disjointed.

The Roomate – How do you make fun of something whose mere existence is already a joke? Plus, what did we gain by another Beiber appearance? Thank god it was over quickly.

Weekend Update – While I found Paul Brittian's Franco impression decent, the slew of “James Franco does a lot” jokes one right after another weren't funny. But what was funny was the sketch showing Franco doing a lot, like when he tried to tell an Update joke, held cue cards, and wiped up the counter at the end of the sketch. I think within this joke is the model for how SNL should be doing its sketches from now on. (The less we say about Wiig's disco queen/meteorologist, the better.)

Live With Regis & Kelly – This sketch was too busy by about 2 joke concepts. I was thoroughly enjoying th back and forth between Regis and his producer, but then the sketch had to drop this in favor of some cheap celebrity jokes and then a random appearance of Wiig as Cathy Lee. So not only did the sketch drop its only funny bit, but it did it without a lick of reason.

Beauty Pageant – I'm sorry, how was this supposed to be funny? Yet another sketch with absolutely no set up. This is shaping up to be a depressing night.

Diedra Wurtz, Bad New deliver – Apparently SNL is trying to makes me run out of ways to describe unfunny sketches. This sketch feels like something the show filmed months ago, decided wasn't good enough for air, but then aired tonight to make up for some sort of delay problems.

The Fingerlings – Not funny, but there was something kind of charming about the 80s throwback nature of the band.

There's something to be said about an episode where the two best sketches were based on a returning cast member's old recurring characters: awful. Just awful.

Best Sketch: “Wayne's World”
Worst Sketch: (Tie) “Beauty Pageant”/ “Diedra Wurtz”


Additional Thoughts:

“I could make a Mila out of her Kunis.”

“This joke has been done three times.”

“Looks like you're on the phone with Ice-T”

“You cannot punch the handsome off of Anderson Cooper”

“And if you're wondering, I am enjoying my Chevrolet Suburban.”

No comments:

Post a Comment