Thursday, February 10, 2011

Community: "Early 21st Century Romanticism"

Once I figure out how I can mack on a hot librarian, tag-team style, with my best friend, I'll offer up a review of tonight's episode, after the jump...

For the sake of critical fairness, I must admit that there was something in the opening minutes that may have predisposed me to dislike this episode. I of course speak of the scene in which show mocked the Barenaked Ladies. BNL (yes, people do call them that) is my favorite band, as I honed in on them in late elementary school. As a weird kid, I felt a emotional connection with this “weird” band, as my peers dubbed both them and me. And by the way, they ARE the best alt-rock Canadian band, not just of the mid-90's, but of all time.

Anyways....

I have since resigned myself that Jeff's resolution to become a jackass once more was a one off joke, and that it has no bearing on the rest of the season. With that thought firmly in mind, it was far easier to enjoy Jeff's plotline tonight. Of course, it helped that it was a strong one, as it slowly built up all of the elements for the resolution.:
  1. The fight over BNL seemed like just that – a silly fight 
  2. Professor Duncan inviting himself over seemed to originate from his shady side, thus distracting us from the fact that he is a trained psychologist 
  3. Chang was in the mix. That's usually the best way to distract someone from the creeping sense of pathos. 
Now I know that not everybody may be happy with how this episode ended; it was a bit harder on the sentimentality than that show usually gets, and that can be off-putting. And think that in itself is telling of the quality of tonight's episode: good, but not quite great.

Don't get me wrong, the episode was hilarious (but then again, when has the show even been unintentionally unfunny?), but the various plots here didn't really work as a whole. I'm guessing that's because Community isn't a show that works well when forced by the network to do a theme episode (and one so overworked as Valetine's Day at that). But the plots here were still worthy of the show, so let's break them down, shall we?

First up, there was the Troy/Abed plot, in which both of them had the hots for a lady librarian, and, for the sake of their friendship, approached her jointly and let her choose. It was a fairly simple plot, and it was another sweet reminder of Troy and Abed's friendship. Some may point out that is seems uncharacteristic of Abed to suddenly exhibit a libido, but I believe that the show established that he had one in the episode where it was discovered he had a white doppleganger. Even if my interpretation is off, I don't think it matters, as the ends here justify the means.

Britta, meanwhile, had another one of her “provocative” social outbursts, hanging out with a woman just because she's a lesbian. Admittedly I didn't see the twist – that Britta's friend is straight, and that she thinks that Britta is gay – coming, but maybe that's because this is the kind of shows where an introduced plot can go anywhere. Regardless of whether or not it was predicable, it was funny and in character, so I'm willing to give it a pass. (Plus, that almost-kiss between Britta and Annie? Awwww yeaaaaaahhhhh....)

Peirce's drug additional wasn't so much a plot as it was a runner, and an excuse for the show to work Andy Dick back into the mold. I actually didn't find this one all that funny, though I can't decided if its because Dick really isn't my cup of tea, or if because their wasn't enough time spent on it to really flesh things out. The real question remains: is Peirce's drug addiction going to be a real plot down the road, or was this just here for laughs?

While this wasn't the best episode for the show, I do believe that this was the best Valentine's Day episode that was broadcast on television this week.

What did everybody else think? 


Additional Thoughts:

Okay, I admit it. Even thought I like BNL, I found that scene pretty funny.

“Is she a 'friend of Ellen?'”

“And in summation, good luck, and bon apetit.”

“As the English call it, Gravedigger's Biscuits.”

Wow, Jeff's apartment is far more sparse than I expected.

“In England, everything mean 'vagina.'”

“Hey, Jeff, don't kill the messenger, but you have four hermit crabs in your bathroom.”

2 comments:

  1. This was the first episode of Community I have ever seen. As soon as they started the BNL fight, I knew it was destiny, and I knew that this destiny ended with me commenting about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's about time.
    Here's to hoping that sense of destiny will keep you watching the show.

    ReplyDelete