Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cougar Town: "Cry To Me"

Due to ABC's scheduling, Cougar Town won't return until April 18th, and even then scheduling is going to be a little off for the first few outings. But for now, a review of last night's hiatus commencing episode, after the jump...


The best way to look at the four storylines in this episode is to pair them up under two categories: the silly and the heartfelt. (Now, of course, all of the storylines here were enjoyably silly, but I think you see what I mean, and if not, just stay with me.)

Under the silly, we had Travis' attempt to take a “sexy picture” and Bobby and Laurie's little runner about how the two were alone on Valentine's Day. I want to start with the latter, as there's not much to say about it, and that's what I think makes it so commendable. Instead of turning this into a dour plot that could have brought down the low key charm of the show, it was mostly just there to set up the hilarious tag at the end. I'd say it was worth it.



Travis' story, on the other hand, had an actual plot, though it was mostly meant as just a sting of jokes, which, fine by me. I think it was also the creepiest plot – or, at least, gave up the creepiest moments - but that it earned it by being really funny, and not having their be some big problem at the end, like Kirsten getting made at Travis for having Laurie help him (which is kinda where I thought it was going,)

The two heartfelt stories – those of Jules/Grayson and Ellie/Andy – were partially intertwined, both in terms of plot and theme. (Also, kudos for getting Bobby involved.) While the Ellie/Andy plot was the slighter of the two, it was also the better one, as things were kept simple and too the point. While I liked the confrontation at the end, where Ellie had to fess up to her real feelings, and I liked all Andy did to “give Ellie what she wanted,” any more of either scene would have felt too schmaltzy or too mean, respectively.

What did feel too mean, as well as just too much, was the Jules/Grayson storyline. While I get that Grayson being closed off and Jules wanting him to open up are just parts of their characters – and realistically where they would be in their relationship – I feel like the show has visited this plot (or something close to it) too many times over the past handful of episodes, and I wish they would start talking about their relationship in far different terms. (Or not at all. Just let them be happy for a few episodes, show!)

But that wasn't the worst part. No, the worst part was Jules actions during all of this, as she pushed Grayson too far, far beyond the realm of believability. Either the show should have stopped Jules from going to the extremes that she did (especially her eating popcorn while watching Grayson cry, even if he did “give” it to her) or had Grayson become more upset with Jules. Either of these changes would have made it more realistic. (Though I would have preferred the former, as Jules once again tested the line of how annoying a main character could be on a comedy.)


Additional Thoughts:

I particularly enjoyed the opener, with the circles of love and anger. I think by having one open the segment and the other close it off, we got a nice thematic preview of the kinds of emotions we would be dealing with in the rest of the episode.

“Let me guess. You two finally kissed, and only one of you loved it.”

“Yeah, I murdered your Santa Claus”

“I feel like I'm about to get me yeriod.”

“I know, I keep it long in the winter.” Many disturbing moments in tonight's episode, ladies and gentlemen.

“The old bitch 'n' ditch.”

“He needs to pull the camera's pants down with his eyes.”

An example of a non-classy toast: “After you clean the pool, I will shave every inch of you.”

“Get me the ribs....BITCH!”

Programming Note: I will be reviewing Mr. Sunshine next week in the stead of this show. Whether I will continuing covering it will depend on my review next week, though based on the advanced press, outlook is bleak.

No comments:

Post a Comment