Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chuck: "Chuck Vesus The Cat Squad"

Once I determine the aerodynamic properties of a DVD shard, I'll offer up a review of last night's episode, after the jump....

Let's face it. It was way too predictable that Amy was the mole.

On the other hand....hot chicks fighting.

Chuck has always been plagued by this dichotomy, the side-by-side existence of elements both good and bad.

Take, for instance, tonight's Chuck/Sarah storyline. “Emotional Chuck” has always been a problem for the show, as they can't always strike a balance between “emotional guy” and “adept spy”; one is almost always sacrificed for the other. Here, I bought that Chuck is a helpful guys, that he was nudging Sarah to connect with her past, so that she might have a happier wedding day. I get that, and I was okay with it. However, when it got to the point where Chuck was apologizing to Sarah while trying to take down the bad guys, I groaned. But the flipside of this – Sarah's half of the story – was quite enjoyable. As I theorized last week, this back half of the season seems to be shaping up to be about Sarah's emotional journey, not Chuck. He has the girl, so his part is done, so to speak. But Sarah, who still isn't used to having a normal life, her journey is just beginning. And I like when Sarah taps into her emotions, as it not only deepens her character, but it makes for some good TV.

Or look at the Morgan/Alex storyline. Tonight saw the return of Carina, the hot she-spy whom Morgan lusted after in season 1, back when his character was a drag on the show. (Yes, Carina returned in season 2, but that's not the point.) Morgan himself was in fine form tonight, but there was something about Carina's presence, and her interest in a non-available Morgan, that make for some broad, hoary comedy. Yet the ending to this, with Morgan telling Alex that he love her, and her responding in kind, was very sweet, and it made me slightly less mad at all that had come before it.

And then there was the main plotline, that of the C.A.T. Squad. As stated above, the storyline was fun in parts, but problematic in others. And I get that Chuck is supposed to be a fun show, I really do. I don't expect emotional arcs to play in every episode, as great as they can make the show at times. But what I do expect is for the “fun part” to actually be fun. Predictability isn't fun, and neither is clichéd plotlines. But I suppose that is the burden sometimes of being a Chuck fan.

What did everybody else think?

Additional Thoughts:

That 70s style, “Charlie's Angels” inspired intro was pretty coo.

“Who knew Mikhail Gorbachev could dance so well.”

“And I trust you.” “That didn't seem like a threat...”

“Is anybody really that perky?”

No comments:

Post a Comment