Sunday, March 6, 2011

SNL: "Miley Cyrus/The Strokes"

Before I get this review underway, a few things:

     1. I have spent most of my day grading student's tests.
     2. Miley Cyrus irks me to my very core
     3. Due to the ire raised by 1 and 2, I've been doing some drinking. 

All in all, this should make for a very interesting (and possibly entertaining) reviewing/reading experience, so click through at your own risk.....

Duh, Winning Cold Open – Well, way to subvert expectations. After opening every episode in recent memory with a politically minded sketch, SNL goes the celebrity route. However, I wish the joke worked better; this is another case of SNL doing a joke that the Internet has already picked over. Plus, adding a bunch of other “winners” actually took away from the joke instead of adding to it. I did, however, like the rapport between Sheen and Gaddafi. But why did they have Cyrus, the host, appear in the first sketch? That just seemed weird.

Monologue – Okay, let's just get this out of the way: Nobody thinks Miley Cyrus is the worst person in the world. We “overreact” because of how young she is. As such, her attempts to play off all her past indiscretions – in song form, of course – just came off as stilted and awkward. Between this and her brief appearance in the cold open, this isn't shaping up to be a good night for Cyrus.

Baby Spanx – Funny the first time. But this wasn't the first time. Stupid repeat commercials.

Our Time! -  Okay, this one had me from the start, since as a guy who didn't really know about the other two members of the Black Eyed Peas (seriously, one of them is name Taboo?), I found the concept to be pretty funny, as well as the desperation in the jokes as played by Thompson and Samberg. Less funny: Chloe Kardasian without her sisters. Even less funny: The repeated returns of Fergie and Will.i.am. (And if we're being honest, I honestly didn't know that was supposed to be a misspelling of 'William.' That's how out of touch I am.)

The Essentials: The Sound of Music Deleted Scenes – While I liked the idea of there being a Hispanic adopted child in the von Trapp clan, like most of Armesin's appearances, it grew old fast. It was another case of a joke being repeated over and over until it was dead, zombified, and the dead-ed again.

Disney Channel Acting School – Even never having seen an episode of Hannah Montana, I still got this fairly funny sketch – probably because I watched enough Disney Channel anyway to get the joke at play here. By making sure that each punchline played off a different traits of cheesy sitcoms, this sketch kept the joke running long enough to last the short airtime.

The Miley Cyrus Show – Admit it, you saw this coming. Though maybe not Cyrus not appearing as Justin Bieber, which was funnier than it had any right to be. Some of the meta references, however, felt overly forced and unfunny, especially Miley-as-Bieber sounding like Miley again with that last line. Oh, my head hurts...

Weekend Update – In addition to Seth Meyers doing his thing, we got The Devil, in a surprisingly nuances take down of where the Westboro Baptist Church lies on the morality scale. (And The Devil hating gay people? Hilarious.) Also, there was the return of Anthony Crispino, who is not my favorite character, but the Lybia/Labia puns made me laugh.

Les Jeunes de Paris – What was a wildly inventive sketch when it first appeared just felt tired and staid tonight. Though I did laugh at the appearance of the mime.

Beastly Spoof – Did I miss something? How long has Samberg been playing this guy who gets placed into various movies. Anyway, the only funny thing here was the misspoken “burn” line at the end.

Rockabilly Face Cream – Ummmm, what the fuck was that?

Ginger Rangers, Cruise Singer - ...And the unfunny continues. What else can I say? For the last sketch of the night, it wasn't even that weird.

CBS Promo – Okay, so I was wrong about that whole "last sketch" thing, technically. But honestly, how old is this joke? Though admittedly, the enthusiasm helped to share some of the joke.

Tonight's episodes was fairly boring, no doubt because Cyrus was overly relegated to roles where all she had to do is sing. I understand the need to bury an untalented host, but when you do it too much, then the show just gets boring. But hey, at least there wasn't any awkward Billy Ray cameo.

Best Sketch: Our Time!
Worst Sketch (Tie): Rockabilly Face Cream/Ginger Ranger, Cruise Singer


Additional Thoughts: 

As opposed to the Cold Case rerun that usually airs after SNL, tonight there was a Cindy-Crawford-starring infomercial. Weird.

“And on the left, that is my right hand.”

“Apple D. Applebee's”

“And I am from the Matrix”

I would totally read Vaguely Asian Magazine

“You're like a pretty little Darryl Hammond”

“Denise Richards is like someone who sold their house in 2007”

“And the McRib came back, so you're welcome arteries”

“I'm not a cop, but if you want to find even more marijuana, deliver the pizzas.”

“When I said the phrase 'Mom Prom,' my penis went up inside me.”

“Meredith Baxter-Birney on a gurney!”

No comments:

Post a Comment