Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Glee: "Sexy"

Once I celebrate achieving 1000+ page views (woo!), I'll offer up a review of tonight's episode, after the jump...

Like I said two weeks ago – or hopefully at least implied – I am never fan of Glee episodes that attempt to tap into the “big issues” of the day, at least those that concern teens. Even though teen sexuality isn't so much and issue of the day so much as one of all time, I can't shake the fact that this episode is one of the zeitgeist-chaser, given how every few years there seems to be renewed media interest in the subject. But that's not my biggest complaint here. No, what bugs me the most is that Glee tried to take a serious topic that kids face in high school, and treat it in a realistic manner, and it just ended up being a bit icky.

Now, I don't want it to seem that I think taking about teen sex is icky; it has been handled on other shows with non-icky results. What makes this episode icky was its insistence on bringing the adults into the action. Father-son conversations aside (and I'll get to that later), certain adult-child dynamics shouldn't involve such frank discussions of sex. I think the show seems to forget that these characters are supposed to be under age a lot of the time (another similarity between the last episode and this one), and that leads to some of the problems that the show has had with its characterization. When you treat these characters like the adults they aren't, it becomes difficult to buy into this already preposterous high school environment.

It shouldn't be surprising to anyone at this point in the shows run, but the adults sections tonight were the worst part of the episode. Apart from the creepiness involved in having Will and Holly talk to the kids about sex, we once again had to deal with forced romantic entanglements.

Now, I thoroughly enjoyed Paltrow's last appearance on the show, even if I couldn't escape the fact that she was only their to promote her movie. So while her character was obviously created for her, and not some pre-existing role that Paltrow landed, at least the show took the time to introduce the character, and what's more, GIVE HER A REASON TO BE IN THE EPISODE. Here, it was obvious that Paltrow came back because America (or at least the parts of America that watch this show) just loved her so much the last time, that the show JUST HAD to bring her back. This is all a long way of saying that though I bought the chemistry between the two of them way back in the fall, I can't shake the feeling that their continued relationship here is only because a) the show doesn't know what else to do with her, b) they want to set it up so she can keep returning, and c) they need to create obvious drama for Emma.

Ah, yes, Emma. Where to start? Though I liked the idea that she's still a virgin (and still runs the chastity club), that the show decided to turn this into yet another opportunity to explore Emma's feelings for Will, instead of, I don't know, taking her problems seriously. That all of this had to follow both an unfunny number to “Afternoon Delight,” and Carl's sudden transformation into a huge tool made the whole story go down uneasy.

Now, lest you think that I absolutely hated this episode, there were somethings I enjoyed, as the kids' storylines (unsurprisingly) were far more interesting. Though I would be loathe to give Glee that much credit, tonight's episode seemed to be a continuation of the last. Specifically, the show seems to be married to the idea of following through Kurt's exploration of his sexuality, and what this means for Burt. Though it had a rocky start – did we really need Sue or the Dalton Academy? - once it became clear that this was about Kurt's attempts to overcome his own fears (and the sexually repressive elements of his upbringing), it became interesting. When Burt got involved, and he gave his son a speech that was honest, heartfelt, and free of gender/sexuality stereotypes, it became fantastic. Now the question remains: how long until Kurt pop his cherry? I'm guessing by the end of the season.

The other major plot line – that of Santana and Brittany trying to nail down a definition of their relationship – was one that worked better in theory than practice. The main problem here was that once again the show took something that was meant as a joke, and tried to turn it into a serious plotline, which meant I spent a good portion of it's screen time wondering whether or not I was supposed to be laughing. But even once it got serious, the show's inability to give the relationship a label – even if it personal struggles over sexuality are real – meant that it was hard for the story to pin down one emotional beat to play, which meant that I myself couldn't be invested as I wanted to be.

I do of course have a few other complaints, best covered in bullet form:
  • Was it just me, or did the show have to struggle to include songs into the hour? Like, even more than usual.
  • Thank god that the show didn't go though with the Puck/Lauren sex tape, because this show doesn't have the comic sensibility to handle such an issue. However, I'm not really sure if Puck joining the chastity group was the right direction either. 
  • I will hold out on commenting on the Quinn/Finn relationship, as the show didn't spend too much time on it tonight. 
What did everybody else think?

Next Week: Glee answers Community's challenge.


Additional Thoughts:

“And for those who are older and afraid of the hose monster.”

“I mean it is Tennessee, but come on”

“I like my enemas piping hot”

“I think on your 30th birthday, it is a great gift for yourself.”

“Next to dropping my afternoon deuce, it's my favorite part of the day,”

Cucumber condom demonstrations make Veggie Tales hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment