Thursday, March 17, 2011

Archer: "Stage Two"

Once I get the image of two skeletons banging out of my head, I'll offer up a review of tonight's episode, after the jump....
Two weeks ago, when “Tragical History” aired, I more or less said that Archer wasn't capable of sentiment, that given it's hard-edged, cynical humor, any attempts to show real emotion would come across as hollow or treacly. Well, tonight I am going to have to slightly eat those words, as the show delivered the closest to heartfelt that it's probably ever going to get: the scene in Mallory's office, where she and her son discuss his legitimate fears over the surgery he will endure the following morning. It's not super deep emotionally, and it's kept short in order to quickly return to the jokes, but it's there, and it works.

In fact, this episode pulled off a lot of emotions that I never would have thought it was capable of. Faced with his own mortality, Archer softens quite a bit, apologizing to his co-workes for all that he has done to them, and attempting to keep a positive outlook on life. Yet given how sure this show is of its characters, it never let's Archer become too soft, as he still retains some of his narcissist, assholish nature, which in turn allows the show to holding onto its biting comedy.

The biggest example of this was the closing act, wherein Archer fields numerous phone calls from his doctor, who each time reverses his previous diagnosis, thus causing Archer to bounce back and forth between his old and improved selves, to hilarious affect. (But does Archer still have cancer? Next week's episode apparently has something to do with cancer medication, so I guess we'll see.) We also got to see a supposedly self-improved Archer take Woodhouse's prepaid ticket to Vegas and go on a multi-day Bender with his servant's younger brother, setting up Cyril as the fall-guy for his crimes.

And then there's Archer and Lana. While drunk, he told her that he loved her, yet his actions while sober (and admittedly dealing with some very heavy emotional stuff) were quite cold and dismissive. The show has never been interested in the will-they-won't-they, relationship based storylines, so it seems a bit out of place here. Yet I can see this as a potential ongoing storyline, if the show is feeling ambitious enough. Much like the outcome of Archer's cancer, we'll have to wait and see.

The show kept us in a bit of a weird place tonight, as it kept bouncing between biting humor and pathos, and I can see why the way in which it was done may be off-putting to some people. Yet I also see this episode as the perfect encapsulations of the emotional turmoil people go with when they are faced with deal. And when that person is someone who is as normally self-absorbed as Archer is, it makes sense that that person would relapse to his old self once out of mortal danger. In short, I thought it worked, in both humor and pathos.

Archer went on a experimental bend tonight, one that could potentially polarizing. But regardless of what people thought, the real question now is whether or not the show will use this episode as some new bar that is feels it will have to clear moving forward.

What did everybody else think?


Additional Thoughts:

“Saturday I watched a building burn down.”

“It's probably not the best present for a diabetic....”

“It's just like when the farm flooded in real life, except tiny and sweet.”

“Do you not know what disease means? Oh wait, I forgot you might have...” “Breast cancer?”

“That'll do Piggly, that'll do.”

“Awww, Goatly...”

“So, wait. Wait wait wait. There's GOOD cholesterol?”

“Boop.”

“Well, he certainly doesn't have cancer in his fists.”

“Where are you taking him?” “I dunno. What's he into.”

“Yeah, it's like we've got each others' backs, right?”

“Prepaid, huh?...Did I mention I have cancer?”

“Well, fuck your dolphin, Pam!”

“Uh, the stuff they use to sterilize hospitals? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's okay.”

“Lana, I'm in love with you.” “You're also shit-faced.” “I could be both.”

“Yeah.....”

“Bear claws, rawr!”

“Oh my god, how much cancer was in him? This is so boring and forever-taking.”

“What are you, hourly?”

“Don't apologize to me, apologize to the Brazilian redwood.”

“What's cancer?”

“I'm kinda making peace with my loved ones...and some other people.”

“Everybody, say hi to Chet Manly.” “Hi.” Not a new person.” “SHUT UP! I SAW HIM FIRST.”

No comments:

Post a Comment