Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Office: "The Inner Circle"

Season 7, Episode 23
I sure hope that door hits Ferrell’s ass on his way out

“So coasting time is official over. Changes are coming and they’re coming fast.”
-DeAngelo

Who is DeAngelo Vickers supposed to be, exactly? That’s the question I had to keep asking myself all throughout tonight’s episode. In his first two appearances he was basically a Michael Scott light, as Steve Carrell-patch to help transition us to the show’s new lineup. Yet last week he became a dick, and turned into a plot device meant to bring about the next (permanent) manager of Dunder Mifflin, Scranton Branch. This week he was what? A fraud? A sexist? Someone who is suddenly a good manager? Does it really matter?

I say no. Why? Because DeAngelo didn’t leave for some sort of logical reason. He left because A FUCKING BASKETBALL HOOP FELL ON HIM. That right there tells you all that you need to know about the character. Like so many other non-functioning character of TV’s past (I’m thinking of that woman who was killed off of ER that one time), DeAngelo was written out but an instance of pure happenstance, not it some way that could be considered in any way thematically relevant. And why did the show do this? Because the show clearly had no other idea about how he should leave, because – and I can’t state this enough – HE NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN THEIR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That’s to say nothing of the way the show has had to disregard past characterization of the rest of the office. Most of this episode, they spent the time sucking up to DeAngelo, and I had to ask myself: Did they ever do this with Michael? Would they have? DeAngelo is just as socially awkward and ineffectual as Michael was in the post (albeit in different ways), and so it seems odd that the office would suck-up to him as opposed to figuring out how they can plalcate him without losing their dignity. Of course the cold open made it seem as if DeAngelo was trying to throw them off, to remain a mystery so they can’t do such a thing, but that idea was mostly dropped in the episode proper, as the rest of the office quickly figured out how we worked anyway.

Of course, some of this might not have mattered if the episode was funny, but it wasn’t. At all. I hate to be that guy, but this feels like it was mostly Ferrell’s fault – or maybe the writers fault for writing a role that was so Ferrell-esque. Will Ferrell as a personality, as that frantic, loud person, doesn’t fit with the jive of the show. Sure, Michael Scott could be equally loud, but the humor from his actions was mostly focused on how awkward they made other feel, as opposed to how kooky his actions are. That meant that a majority of the episode (because Ferrell was practically in every scene, and even informed most of the one he wasn’t in) was largely tone deaf.

I supposed I go could into The Inner Circle, or Ryan and Kelly’s subplot, but really, what’s the point?

Next Week: Dwight becomes manager. Another episode doesn’t work (probably).

Quotes, Etc.:

“I don’t know what to think.” “Kev’s got me pegged.”

How would The Penis Apologies go exactly?

4 comments:

  1. See, I really liked the way that they off'd Ferrell's character. It was just outrageous enough for the world of Dunder Mifflin without allowing a storyline to develop that was so deep it would always leave viewers wanting more.

    Jim's interplay with DeAngelo at the end was very Jim-esque, as seen in the way that he was always calling Michael out for his more out-there remarks or ideas. I will admit that he was much more blatant in his calling out of DeAngelo, but I thought you would have liked that better given your past comments about him seeming like just another Michael Scott.

    I do agree with pretty much everything else that you said, though.

    Let me put this out before you, though, and see what you think. I enjoyed the relationship that formed between the people of the office and DeAngelo because it added an almost satirical comedy to the episode. The way that everyone reacted toward him seemed the complete opposite of the way they acted toward Michael Scott in the first season--especially the first episode. Dwight goes from the suck-up and brown-noser to the immovable and unshakeable. He doesn't want nor does he need DeAngelo's approval, and he let's that be known. The rest of the office goes from acting annoyed and/or apathetic toward Michael to doing seemingly everything possible to get in and stay in DeAngelo's good graces. Even the differences between the way Michael and DeAngelo interact with Dwight have changed dramatically. Michael tried to distance and belittle Dwight for being Dwight. DeAngelo tries to win Dwight over and actively seeks out his acceptance.

    The contrast and juxtaposition between this episode and the pilot was interesting, at least for me. Had you thought of that? I know it's more the narrative critic in me that sees this than it is the tv critic, but it added a level to this episode that made it at least worth watching for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't disagree with how DeAngelo was written out so much as I do with what it represents. Comedies can get away with such random moments far more than drama can, and not everything there has to be thematically relevant (though it does help.)It was a good moment of comeuppance for Jim, to be sure, but it was fairly random, and that's just the byproduct of the writer sticking Will Ferrell in the show without any real idea of what he was actually going to do, besides play a Will Ferell-type. And even then they somehow couldn't have him act like the same person for just four episodes.

    As far as your satire comment: The Office already is a satire of sorts, though those moments are a bit subdues and far & few between. For the show to suddenly satirize itself doesn't work for me. This show is set up a documentary, and they should really try to stick to that, something that making a satire of itself kind of breaks that illusion. This show is meant to be grounded in reality (more or less) and for this show to do such a meta-concept (which I don't even believe they were doing in the first place) just kind of throws reality out of the window.

    And besides, it doesn't really explain why the characters would do that, besides wanting to save their jobs, but most of them have been there for 4+ years, so it would seem like they would know different avenues to take to hold on to their jobs. (Gabe's been there for less, but he's from corporate, so it's not like DeAngelo can fire him. So what reason does he have to suck up?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, this is why I get in trouble when I try to do anything but enjoy the show at it's surface level ;)

    I concede all points to you and bow down in humble acceptance of your critical eye. Carry on, kind sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll admit I was disappointed by the role that Ferrell was given. I’m never home to even catch this show so instead I relay it onto my
    Android from the Sling Adapter I got from my job at DISH Network so I can watch wherever I go. But let’s be honest, the character of Dangelo never would have gone anywhere if there wasn’t a big name behind it to entice people to watch. Unfortunately, The Office may be lost, but I’ll keep watching for the sake of killing the cat and maybe it’ll get better on its own.

    ReplyDelete