Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cougar Town: "Baby's A Rock 'N' Roller"

Season 2, Episode 16
An attempt to create an umbrella theme goes a bit awry

Tonight’s episode was supposed to be all about self-improvement, in one way or another. Bobby wants to get up earlier so that he can practice for the big golf tournament. Jules wants to prove that she still knows how to be a mother – and Grayson tries out his fathering skills. And – most notably – Laurie wants to return to her formerly trampy ways.

And this is the sticking point for me for this episode. I get what the show is trying to do here; not only are these moments meant to be played for laughs, but it is also meant to be a statement on the group, how they don’t judge their friends and they actually love each other for their flaws. And in a CT’s world of immature people, this story fits in with the show’s skewed logic. Yet considering how often this show has had growing moments for its characters – and I know there have been a few for Laurie that are predicated on her leaving this lifestyle behind – it’s hard for me accept this storyline for what it is. Like the show, I don’t judge Laurie for her actions tonight – her walk of shame and most of her other actions were highly entertaining – it just feels off to me.

I enjoyed the Jules/Ellie/Grayson subplot, which in that traditional CT kind of way, was actually a stealth plot just about Grayson. As we’ve seen before, he’s always wanted kids – that’s why his ex-wife left him – and I enjoy that the show is returning to this, as I’m sure this is just another continuing plotline that will add some oomph to the finale. And of course, the story here itself provided some great moment of comedy, from all of the dangers that baby Stan could encounter in the pantry/safe room, to all of the things Ellie could bribe Stan to do just with Goldfish crackers.

Bobby’s runner about trying to wake up early was a good one, mostly because it was based on Bobby’s weird style of thinking, which is always good for a few laughs. (Plus, we got to see some more of Dog Travis. They should have more of him.) But mostly it got me thinking about the Bobby’s future. I’ve got to imagine that we’ll see Bobby compete in that tournament before the season is out, seeing as how the show has been sporadically building to it since the fall, and at this point I’m a bit anxious for them just to get it done with.

(It was also a bit distracting to have Travis on screen, but for their not to be any talk about the engagement ring from Monday’s episode, but if that had happened then this episode might have been too busy, so I understand. Oh well. There’s always next week.)

Additional Thoughts:

Today in title cards: Welcome to Cul-de-Sac Crew Cougar City Cougar Town (sticking with it)

“Well there’s only like only seven minutes during that you are fun to be around.”

“He dives right in like he owns the place.”

“I used to let him use my pill bottle as a rattle.”

“She’s super pregnant and doesn’t want to have another baby in a club.”

“You look good, wet playboy. Yeah, I noticed.”

“My son almost made honor roll – twice. I’m a bit of a Mary Poppins.”

Ass worship: It’s contagious.

“Well, that explains my deep distrust of women.” “Don’t ever lose that buddy. It’s a gift.”

“I thought they were raisins…I wanted him to like me.”

“You know what Doug? I am pissed that they just played a Miley Cyrus and everyone knew the lyrics!”

“It’s an inescapable fort. Like Alcatraz.”

“I don’t want to stab a baby!” “Wimp.”

“Look how he goes for the big ones.” “He’s not a duck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment