Friday, April 15, 2011

Archer: "White Knights"

Season 2, Episode 12
A step up from last week’s episode, yet still below the season’s heights

What do you want from an episode of Archer? The show has expanded over the past season to the point where it now has a few different modes it can switch to from week to week. I have found, for instance, that I thoroughly enjoy those episodes where the character gets to bounce off on another, regardless of setting. This also usually means that I prefer the episodes be light on the actions set pieces.

So in theory, this episode should have worked for me. Luckily, it had second favorite type of this show’s humor: Archer dryly commenting on everything that happens around him. Sure, a good chunk of the episode was given over to him bouncing off of Barry, and while these parts were quite funny, they weren’t quite as funny as the monologue of sorts Archer delivered while running from one rundown tenant building to another.  But since I find this type of humor to be slightly inferior, and given that Barry, being a recurring character, probably wasn’t the best choice for the person to accompany Archer in Russia.

Then there were a couple of storytelling points that gave me pause. First off, though the question of who Archer’s father is has some basis in previous episodes, and though this fits in with the current expansion of the show’s universe, I can’t say I really care about who Archer’s father is, which means that the plot around the jokes was as engaging as the show is capable of.

The second point came at the end, with the quick reveal of Katya Kazanova. Now, obviously this is meant to create setup for next week’s episode, effectively creating a two-parter. Storytelling logistics aside (I don’t think next week’s finale will work like it’s supposed to), I can’t get over how quickly this development was shoehorned in. It has little to do with everything else that happened tonight, and she could just have quickly been introduced next week, and it probably would have made more sense.

But who knows? Maybe I’ll be eating those words next week.

What did everybody else think?

Additional Thoughts:

“Try not to be unconscious for too long. It’s super bad for you.”

“Also hopefully shitloads of vodka.”

“PARAAAAACHUUUTE!”

“I was asking if this was the Finnish Skydiving Club, which from your response, I’m judging it’s not…”

“Plus I was unconscious for an hour. Which is super bad for you.” “Super bad.”

“PAM!” “I’m not eavesdropping!”

“Are you guys talking about The Whipped Cream Incident?”

“Ray, get your purse and take some Midol, you’re going back.”

“As what, Russia’s only black woman?”

“And he sodomized my fiancée.” “You’re still together?”

“Do you want to do this on the desk? Or in the hallway? Where do want to knock this out?”

“Shit, why am I speaking English? With an American accent?”

“10 minutes. I drop kids off at pool.”

“What am I smelling, Barry?” “Nothing yet, but just wait.”

“I thought they just wanted my hair so their scientist could unlock the secret of its luxurious fullness.”

“Bitch, I got ants all over me!”

“I don’t know Barry, what’s French for ‘deliciously depraved.’”

“Actually, I don’t know what I said, I just said it.”

“Who do Archer think he is? Only man who want father?”

“Probably because there are two hundred pounds of asshole hanging of them.”

“Why don’t you just go to my house and steal all my clothes?”

“What is this, a broken glass factory?”

“HOW ARE YOU A SUPERPOWER?”

“I assume that smell is cabbage, and not just you two.”

“Do you think it’s cause I’m in loafer, cause they’re not mine.”

“How? How is this happy play time?”

“Why do guys think: casual suit and loafers. Yay or nay?”

“I hate to do it to you, but I’m commandeering your vodka.”

“I’m really thinking that tetanus booster right about now.”

“AAAAARRRRRCHHHEEERRRRR!” “That’s what I said.”

“Well, I assume I’m pretty famous around here.”

“So glad I didn’t wet my pants.”

No comments:

Post a Comment