Sunday, April 8, 2012

SNL - "Sofia Vergara/One Direction"


Season 37, Episode 18

Has there been a larger cognitive dissonance in SNL history between guest host and musical guest than between Sofia Vergara and One Direction? One appeals to older men, the other to young girls, and I can only imagine the audience confusion that’s going to take place tonight. I would say that I would make for a fun show, but that’s “fun” as in “televised train wreck.”


Cold Open – Mitt Romney, Road to the White House: In the show’s ongoing quest to depict Mitt Romney and his tendency to lie out of his ass based on whatever constituency he’s talking to, there have been quite a few stumbles. However, it seems like the show has finally figured out what I’ve been saying for weeks, and has decided to ratchet up the weirdness of it’s comedy. By taking Romney everywhere from the ASPCA to the role playing convention to a body piercing convention, the show was finally able to stretch Romney’s political malleability to level that was funny, instead of just sad and pathetic.

Monologue: Say, did you notice that Sofia Vergara was ethnic? Well, if you’re blind, or somehow too mesmerized by her chest, this monologue was here to make sure that you learn that fact. (Unless of course you were once again too busy staring at her chest.) That it was decided Vergara should “apologize” for her accent, however ironically, was just the last straw. Who cares if she’s ethic? Comedy is comedy in any language, and race shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Just Friends Booty Shorts: Oh boy, gay panic! That’s always good for a laugh!...Right?

(Back-to-back commercials for The Three Stooges and Vergara’s K-Mart clothing line. Who said she didn’t thing to promote outside of Modern Family?)

Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel: Is this a relatively new bit? I hadn’t seen it before ZooeyDeschanel hosted a couple of months ago, and it was pretty funny there, and it was even better here. It almost feels as if it was a one-off that the show decided to bring back because it worked so well the first time, but somebody else it going to have to confirm or deny that for me. Either way, tonight’s iteration was pretty fantastic, with Wiig doing good work as Barrymore, and Vergara doing a passable Drescher imitation. (It’s a bit disappointing considering that Vergard proved she can do a solid American accent in that one episode of Modern Family.) The real standout bit here was Cera’s desperate and pathetic crush on Deschanel. More of that, please.

Almost Pizza: This is how you do faux commercials right. Take a ridiculous premise and just extrapolate for the whole of the running time. Even if the commercial wasn’t a play on the Disgornio slogan, it still would have worked, and that sight gag of the pizza shattering and then globing back together was just fucking brilliant.

News Bumper: This is quite similar to the Super Bowl bumper sketch that ran when Channing Tatum hosted, except for this time only one person was fucking up the shot. This sketch gets point for have a through line and sticking with it, but none of this was very funny, and lacked some of the random laughs of the former sketch.

(Oh, hey now here’s Vergara shilling for some make-up. This is synergy at work, people!)

Sex Ed: Say, I thought I remember Wiig saying that Gilly wasn’t going to be around anymore. What the fuck? And how do we only get one sex joke in a sketch that has Vergara playing a teacher of a sex education class? Like most Gilly sketches, the real laughs came not from Gilly herself, but rather the exasperation from those around her. And hey, maybe that “death scene” flash forward is the last bow for the character, especially considering that Wiig might not be back next season.

(Oh man, I can just here all the teenage girl screams during this One Direction performance. In my day, boys bands actually danced, dammit.)

Weekend Update: In addition to Seth Meyers’ usual shtick, we got…Another Drunk Uncle appearance, here to talk about Easter, and I think I finally figured out why I don’t find him funny. He’s doing a lot of that “kids these days” shtick, and even if it’s meant as a load of anti-comedy, it doesn’t work either way. And man did this particular one seem to last forever, though that’s mostly like the product (or maybe the cause?) of the fact that there were no other guest on tonight’s WU.

The Manuel Ortiz Show: Oh boy, I was afraid that the show couldn’t resist doing this one, what with Vergara being of Latin descent. Normally I’m okay to dismiss this recurring sketch as unfunny, but with Vergara in the mix, it’s both lazy and offensive in its utilization. (And, oh hey, maybe One Direction can dance. Just not, you know, while they’re signing.)

Lil’ Poundcake: They’ve done this one already. Twice.

(That’s the second Cover Girl commercial of the night, and the fourth commercial with Vergara in it. Jeez…)

Watch What Happens Live!: WWHL is a fairly easy target (The Soup manages to get in at least one clip per episode, it seems), so I was a bit skeptical of how this one would turn out, and even more skeptical when Killam seemed to play up Andy Cohen’s flamboyant nature. However, the sketch quickly and thankfully shifted to one long joke of the desperation hat the show exudes, which turned out quite well. The sketch didn’t use the idea of the guests as well as I would have liked, especially Desmond Tutu. It was an idea that made me laugh, but I don’t think enough was done concerning the cognitive dissonance between Tutu and the Bravo network.

(And that’s the second time that Diet Pepsi ad with Vergara has been aired. This is just getting ridiculous.)

Pantene Commercial: Oh good, more accent humor! Okay, maybe I’m being a bit too flippant. I mean, this could be seen as a commentary on all those Sofia Vergara-starring commercials that have been airing tonight. Or maybe on the replaceable nature of Latin American actresses...Nah, we’re clearly just supposed to laugh at the funny accents.

74th Annual Hunger Games: I’m not sure if a movie spoof is really the most deserving of the last slot of the night, but it was certainly a funny one, and perhaps the first sketch of the night that actually was able to use Vergara’s comedic sensibilities to full effect. Sure, it was a short sketch, but I don’t think it was one that could really have gone on much longer without wearing out its one-note joke.

Best Sketch – Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel
Worst Sketch – The Manuel Ortiz Show

Next Week: Josh Brolin brings his downhome charm, and Gotye brings his not-so-downhome musical sensibilities.

Quotes, Etc.:

That’s new cast member Kate McKinnon in both the WWHL and Pantene sketches. And hopefully the first of many new female cast members, I’m betting will see more of her over the next few weeks as Lorne Michaels put her through the ringer.

Speaking of featured cast members, that Hunger Games sketch was the only appearance of Jay Pharaoh. What’s up with that?

“It’s the core of who I am: cat spaying.”

“You know, with our busy schedules, Ann and I don’t get to nearly as many cock fights as we would like.”

“In addition to the two nipple piercings I’ve talked about – and you know, and the taint – I’ve also recently added the hung stud, which Ann and I have enjoyed quite a lot.”

“This country welcomed me with open arm and pulled down pants.”

“Please forgiven me if you cannot understand what I say, and I will forgive you for staring at my chest all night.”

“Hey girl, I’m Zooey Deschanel, and I’ve never worn a thong.”

“Now’s the part the show where I look like a guilty baby.”

“The guy’s on The Nanny used to call me ‘the Bullhorn’. It’s like a pet name, but with anger.”

“I love a good challenge. I was born mute.”

“I’m former Blossom star and Jewish Strawberry Shortcake, Mayim Bialik.”

“I’m still thinking about how that woman in the birthing video looked like Dora the Explorer, and now I’m all confused.”

“Lila, why are you covered with maxi pads?” “They’re soft, but I don’t like it.”

“So I think the answer to ‘Where is Matt Lauer’ is ‘buried under strippers and blow’.”

“Even worse, the new Bond villain will be named Dr. Google von Turbo Tax.”

“A rare bad decision from a man known for dressing up as Batman.”

“Apparently American Eagle lost points for it’s safety announcement is just a flight attendant screaming ‘MAKE PEACE WITH YOUR GOD!’”

“I dunno, I think everybody knows that black people love Mary J. Blige.”

“I’m Andy Cohen, and I gave myself this show.”

“I met Desmond in the Hamptons.”

“He wants to be a Hollister model, but for now he’s a gay prostitute.”

“BOOM! HUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGGGEERRRRR GAAAAAAAMMMMMEESSS!”

“The Hunger Games are brought to you by Tylenol. Got a spear in your head? Tylenol.”

“Okay, I’m dying now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment