Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thoughts on the 2011 Golden Globes, Television Division

A few thoughts on the television portion of the Golden Globes after the jump.... 

Best Actress, Drama – Katey. Sagal. FUCK. YEAH. Though it's still a disappointment that she didn't get nominated for season 2 of Sons of Anarchy, she still brought the shit in season 3, and it was nice to see her finally get the recognition she deserved. She was able to play so many emotions this past season, and it was this breadth that I believe snagged her the Globe (versus last year, where her performance was still FANTASTIC, but she played a smaller sector of emotions). One could argue that Elisabeth Moss' performance on this past season of Mad Men was better than Sagal on this season of SOA, but what the hell? Sagal deserves it, and nobody could accuse her of not earning it.

Best Miniseries/TV Movie – Carlos. To be honest, I haven't really paid attention to this section of televiosn, but from what I've heard of Carlos – yeah, I'll buy it.

Best Supporting Actor – Chris Colfer. Look, I understand that Kurt's flamboyant nature irks people; he get to me every once in a while. But I think back on every scene Colfer has done opposite of Mike O' Malley, where he somehow manages to wear his heart on his sleeve and yet refrains from going over the top. He's earned it. (Side note: The only other actor who I believe deserved to when is Eric Stonestreet, who also plays a gay character. Interesting.)

Best Actor, Drama, Steve Buscemi. & Best Drama, Boardwalk Empire – The "Best Actor, Drama" was a tough category this year, and any one of those men deserved to win. And lord knows that Bucemi was always on top on his game, even when BE was a bit off. And yet...Hamm and Cranston both had better performances this year, so I feel like either of them should have won.

I have a even harder time believing that BE won best drama, especially that it lost to Mad Men. The only logical explanation I can come up with it that the HFPA voted for what was new and hot over what was actually the best.

Actor, Miniseries/TV Movie – Al Pacino. Again, I am not versed in these matters, but Pacino? HOO-AH! Why not?

Actress, Miniseries/TV Movie – Claire Danes. She played an autistic. Of course she won.

Supporting Actress – Jane Lynch. I once again accuse HFPA of zeitgeist-chasing. Look, I like Lynch on Glee. She is hilarious. But I don't think she plays the other notes as well, nor is she given many of them to play. Sofia Vergara gives a better comedic performance in my opinion, and I actually would have taken any of the actresses over her. (Again, the category is a bit tough, but if I had a choice, I would have picked Stiles from Dexter. She somehow raised a sagging show, and that is hard to do.)

Actress, Comedy – Laura Linney. THE BIG C ISN'T A REAL COMEDY. Glad to get that off my chest.

Best Actor, Comedy – Jim Parsons. I think we can all agree that Parsons has earned this. (Plus, how adorable was Kaley Cuoco's reaction?)

Best Comedy – Glee. (Son of a bitch. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go down this path tonight.) Glee is, ultimately to uneven to ever win any sort of “best of” award. (Or, at least, that's the way it should be.) Glee can make some great hours of television, and I assume that it was one of these hours that won it this award. But as whole, it's never that great, and this only points to the flaw in a system that only asks for one episode to be submitted in order to win an award. Modern Family should have won. (And this just tabling the fact that Community wasn't nominated, which...just....grrrrrrrrrrr.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment